If you are like the majority of people these days, you spend at least two hours a day staring at a digital screen, whether it be your smartphone, tablet or computer. Unfortunately, prolonged exposure to digital devices can result in digital eye strain. Digital eye strain refers to a group of vision-related issues that be very bothersome.
Continue reading to learn more about this all-too-common condition and how you can prevent or minimize symptoms.
Common Symptoms of Digital Eye Strain
Staring at a digital screen for more than two consecutive hours can result in one or more of the following:
- Blurry vision
- Double vision
- Eye twitching
- Neck, shoulder and back pain
- Red eyes
- Burning eyes
- Eye fatigue
The majority of these symptoms are benign, but can lead to a considerable amount of discomfort. In addition, several studies have found that digital eye strain can lower productivity among individuals who work in front of a computer all day.
How to Prevent/Minimize Digital Eye Strain
The good news is that digital eye strain can be easily prevented and managed. Here are a few simple tips to follow:
- Take a break. Give your eyes a rest by following the 20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, look at an object that is 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
- Remember to blink. Blinking your eyes is an easy way to moisturize your eyes and keep them from drying out.
- Avoid glare. Glare caused by both natural and artificial light can cause digital eye strain. You can minimize glare hitting your screen by closing curtains/blinds or moving your screen away from windows and overhead fluorescent lighting.
- Use proper lighting. The brightness of your screen should closely match the level of lightning around you.
- Adjust your computer monitor’s position. Experts recommend positioning your computer 20 to 28 inches away from your face and 15 to 20 degrees below eye level.
- Adjust your screen’s display settings. Reduce eye strain and fatigue by modifying your screen’s display settings, including brightness, contrast and text size.
To learn more about digital eye strain or to schedule a comprehensive eye exam, please schedule an appointment with Vista Eye Specialists. Contact our expert team by calling 1-888-EYE-JANI (393-5264) today.